Aging is a natural process, but for many, it comes with cosmetic concerns that can be bothersome. Lines, wrinkles, and volume loss can have a noticeable impact on your appearance. At Nunnally Dermatology in Baton Rouge, LA, we specialize in addressing these issues from a medical perspective, offering effective and personalized solutions.
One solution for aging and other concerns is dermal fillers, a non-surgical treatment that can provide a refreshed look by restoring volume and smoothing out facial lines. We are licensed and experienced at dermal filler injections, and we focus on the medical aspects of each treatment, taking the time to educate you on your options and providing a thorough understanding of what to expect.
What Are Dermal Fillers?
Dermal fillers are injectable substances used to replenish facial volume, smooth out lines, and augment specific areas of the face. Composed of various materials like hyaluronic acid or poly-L-lactic acid, these fillers integrate into your skin’s structure to offer a natural-looking improvement or to stimulate collagen production. We provide these treatments with a focus on medical efficacy, tailoring each treatment to meet the individual needs of our patients.
What Can Dermal Fillers Treat?
Over time, both the face and hands can lose their youthful volume, leading to a more hollow or aged appearance. Facial fillers can be an effective way to restore this volume, offering a fuller look in targeted areas like the cheeks, temples, and even the back of the hands.
Facial Lines and Wrinkles
Fine lines and wrinkles are an inevitable part of aging but can be effectively managed. Dermal fillers help by filling these creases, smoothing the skin and reducing the appearance of lines around the mouth and eyes and on the forehead.
For those looking to enhance the shape of their face, injectable fillers can offer a non-surgical alternative for contouring areas like the jawline and cheekbones.
Thin or uneven lips can be transformed through the use of cosmetic fillers, adding both volume and symmetry. This non-surgical treatment option allows for a more balanced and fuller lip appearance, aligning with the overall facial aesthetics.
What Are the Different Types of Dermal Fillers?
JUVÉDERM is a type of dermal filler that is formulated with hyaluronic acid. JUVÉDERM fillers are known for their long-lasting effects and are FDA-approved for multiple facial areas.
- JUVÉDERM VOLUX™ XC: Specifically designed for jawline and chin contouring, this filler offers a more defined facial structure.
- JUVÉDERM VOLUMA® XC: Ideal for restoring lost volume in the cheeks, this product provides a natural lift and youthful plumpness.
- JUVÉDERM ULTRA PLUS XC: Suited for deeper lines and wrinkles, this filler works exceptionally well for areas such as nasolabial folds and marionette lines.
- JUVÉDERM VOLLURE® XC: With a softer consistency, this filler is designed for moderate lines and wrinkles, offering subtle yet effective results.
- JUVÉDERM ULTRA XC: Versatile in its application, this filler can treat both fine lines and offer moderate lip enhancement.
- JUVÉDERM VOLBELLA® XC: This is one of the few dermal fillers for under the eyes. It is FDA-approved for this sensitive area and can also be used for subtle lip enhancement.
Restylane is another comprehensive line of dermal fillers, each targeting different aesthetic needs. What sets Restylane apart is its use of NASHA (non-animal stabilized hyaluronic acid) technology, allowing for a more natural integration into the skin. This results in smoother, more natural-looking improvements that can be tailored to individual patient needs.
- Restylane Kysse: Designed for lip enhancement, this dermal filler lip option offers natural-looking volume and definition to the lips.
- Restylane Lyft: Known for its efficacy in cheek augmentation and correcting age-related midface contour deficiencies, this filler adds fullness to the cheeks.
- Restylane Defyne: Crafted to smooth out deep laugh lines, this dermal filler option helps restore a more youthful, natural-looking appearance.
- Restylane Contour: Used for cheek augmentation and correction, this facial filler option provides natural contouring for a more youthful facial structure.
- Restylane Refyne: This filler is designed to soften laugh lines and marionette lines, providing a more natural look when smiling or frowning.
- Restylane: This is the original product in the line and is suitable for a wide variety of applications, ranging from lip augmentation to the correction of moderate to severe facial wrinkles.
- Restylane Silk: This treatment is specially formulated for lip augmentation and the smoothing of wrinkles around the mouth, offering precise results.
Radiesse stands out in the field of dermal fillers due to its distinctive formulation of calcium hydroxylapatite (CaHA) microspheres within a water-based gel. Unlike other fillers that solely aim for immediate volume restoration, Radiesse goes a step further by acting as a scaffold to stimulate your own collagen growth over time. This results in not just immediate filling of wrinkles and folds but also longer-lasting effects, often extending beyond a year for many individuals.
Sculptra sets itself apart by being a biostimulator rather than a traditional dermal filler. Instead of providing immediate volume like dermal fillers, Sculptra works gradually by stimulating the body’s natural collagen production. It’s composed of poly-L-lactic acid, a biocompatible substance that helps reinforce your skin’s inner structure over time. As a result, the increase in collagen can lead to a more youthful appearance that develops gradually and can last up to two years, making it a unique option for those seeking long-term improvements.
Dermal Filler FAQ
How Long Do Dermal Fillers Last?
Generally, results can last from six months to up to two years. The longevity of injectable fillers varies based on the type of filler used and the area of treatment.
Which Dermal Filler Is Right for Me?
Choosing the right cosmetic fillers depends on various factors like the specific area you want to treat, the result you’re aiming for, and how long you’d like those results to last. A thorough consultation is essential for making an informed decision tailored to your individual needs.
Do Dermal Filler Injections Hurt?
The level of discomfort during dermal filler injections can vary. Most fillers are infused with lidocaine to minimize pain during the treatment. Additionally, topical numbing agents or ice packs can be used to further reduce any discomfort.
Improved Facial Contour and Volume With Dermal Fillers
If you’re considering dermal fillers to address signs of aging or to enhance your facial features, we have many options at Nunnally Dermatology. We focus on providing safe and effective treatments to patients in Baton Rouge, LA. To learn more or schedule a consultation, please call us at (225) 769-3376 or fill out our online form today.